Rocky oasis, exhibiting the Antarctic basement over the area of ca. 1000 km2, was discovered by Lt Cdr David E. Bunger during US Navy expedition (1947) under Adm. Richard E. Byrd’s command. Nine years later, at the shore of the Algae (Figurnoje) Lake, USSR built a permanent station named Oasis (66°16′29″S 100°45′00″E). In 1958 the station, consisting of two wooden houses ca. 20 m2 each and a few smaller huts, was handed over to Poland (formally in December 1958, technically in January 1959) and named after a Polish geophysicist, meteorologist and polar explorer, Prof. Antoni B. Dobrowolski.
In subsequent years, Poland organized, with the logistical support of the Soviet Antarctic Expedition (SAE), three research expeditions, lasting several weeks each, which resulted in a number of scientific publications reporting on basic parameters of geophysical potential fields and meteorology. In 1987, some 200 m west of the Dobrowolski Station, SAE built several new huts, and named them Oasis 2. Since then the Dobrowolski Station remained in hibernation, and was only sporadically visited by various teams (the last one being the Australian Antarctic Division in 2010 and the Russian Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute in 2017/2018). HSM No 49 Bunger Hill Pillar and HSM No 10 Soviet Oasis Station Observatory are situated nearby.
Above: Polish Academy of Sciences Antarctic Expedition to Dobrowolski Station 1978/1979